Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mates


Here's a picture of what I was told is a sand crane. The bird was just standing there very still as if it did not mind me taking its picture. So I did. But as I started to walk away, I noticed a second bird's beak and neck rise up from the lagoon not far from the first(not in this oicture). This bird had a small fish in its beak and began a gargling motion to jiggle its catch down its neck. Then it disappeared into the lagoon and emerged a few minutes later with another catch. Now my model began to squawk a bit. Praise or warning? Sand cranes mate for life in an elaborate dance and song. Later that same day I attended the wedding of my son's best friend from high school. I think this crane and his mate were a good omen for the marriage of Tyler and his bride.
And a Happy Birthday to my mate! Live long and prosper!

2 comments:

  1. What a nice thing to witness- and yes, I think it was a good sign as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. de de de de---spooky how signs are all around us.
    Yes, "crane" your neck out there and do that dance with your mate in honor of the birthday gent!
    (and the newleyweds too)
    pve

    ReplyDelete