Monday, February 21, 2011

Zippo deedoodah

Yesterday I did this small painting and submitted it on the Daily Painter Challenge.  Michael Naples initiated the challenge.  I have admired his paintings for several years now.  I enjoy these small spontaneous challenges and always learn something - even if it is something I already knew.    Like my "achilles heel" of painting is 'too much white' - it gets into everything and lessens the impact of the color.  So today's challenge is to paint something without using white or at least minimally at the end for highlights.  The same challenge would be fine but I have a landscape in mind.  You can create all the values you need with ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, and titanium white.  Even portraiture!  It really is all about values; values are to painting as line is to drawing.  

3 comments: